Friday, May 20, 2011

Ariana

Through my volunteering experience, I have met a wonderful, beautiful woman named *Ariana from El Salvador.
The first time I tutored her in English was a little over a month ago, and we got to talking about her story (with many difficult parts) and I felt such an overwhelming, heavy burden for her. I sensed opression and hurt. We also talked about her beliefs, and how she and her husband started going to a Gnostic group...it seems a little similar to Buddhism..she talked about how it was "so hard". Talked about mantras and weird prayers and dying to your self. There was then a pause and I felt I HAD to share..that Jesus had to overflow into my words! I got to briefly describe the relationship I have with Jesus and how it has given me life and love and peace. It was one of the few times I have taken the opportunity to just simply share about my life with a non-believer--and it just came out, naturally.
Ariana is 26, has been married for 10, has a few Salvadoreno friends here, but spends quite a bit of time alone. That is about to change! :-)
I then saw her again two weeks ago and I ended up mentioning Cold Stone somehow and she said how she'd never been there. Well anyways, tonight we went!! It was so beautiful...we had no problems talking (Spanish and English, of course :-) and it felt like such an honor to spend time with her even though she was thanking me profusely for everything. She already feels like a good friend. We have plans lined up for going to the movies, going to Pastini's where she works, going bike riding this summer, practicing my Spanish with her this summer (and vice versa), teaching her to knit, cooking Salvadorena food, even talking about her future kids that will hopefully be coming soon :) All this to say, I feel like we will be friends for a long time and that God put me in her life (and hers in mine) for a reason. I do not see her as a project or my "mission". All I know is that I'm supposed to, and that I yearn to love her with the love of Christ and that He will use me according to His will. And He is always faithful to give me the words. I started tearing up on the way home tonight just being so humbled that He could use me to be the person in her life to give her hope, and a taste of Jesus. I am so incapable on my own. ANYWAYS.

OHhhh...how could I forget. So you probably know I have been praying big time for a job this summer...anyways I was telling her about it today. She said very casually that it would probably be no problem to get me a job at Pastini's where she works. AND Qdoba, which is one of the top places I would love to work, because she also has a friend that works there! And I applied at a nearby Craft Store today because the opportunity arose and that also seems promising. I feel like today has been one big "HA!" from Jesus to all the doubts and insecurities I had about His providing.

Anyways, i am one fufilled girl today...rejoicing in His goodness. Looking forward to what tomorrow brings.

Blessings,
Suse

*name changed for privacy

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful! I love you! You are a wonderful friend and she will be fully blessed to know you and experience Jesus' heart, love and hands through you! PRaying. And congrats about the job possibilities. Praying about that too.
    em

    ReplyDelete