Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Practically Speaking


I spend a LOT of time walking up and down stairs here at OSU. Stairwells always make me kind of depressed; maybe because I'm dreading the next class I have to go to, or they wipe me out (ha), or I just feel isolated from everyone walking by me. Whatever the case, I probably spend an average of 15 minutes just walking up the stairs each day. (Staircases here are not QUITE as gloomy as the one shown, but that's kind of how I feel). Maybe I don't like staircases because I feel like I have to go, go, go, and it seems impossible to stop and shed light on someone's day. It feels like an endless cycle.
Sometimes, metaphorically, I just feel like I'm walking up and down stairs, and not really getting anywhere. Or stopping anywhere. I feel I am inadequate to fulfill my biggest heart's desire, to love God with all my heart, and to love my NEIGHBOR as I do myself. That's one part that is SO hard being in a secular, very very dark environment. There is SO much darkness that I have to constantly pray for joy and worship Jesus or else I'll fall apart!
I have been hearing Matthew 5:16 in my head for a while now: {In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.} I want to talk less and listen more. I want what I say to be gracious and attactive. I want to treat each person I encounter like the one.
How do I give a whiff of Jesus to my astronomy lab teacher, a bald woman who has cancer and is undergoing chemo and radiation? Or the more awkward guys in my swing dancing class? Or the students to my left in right in Spanish and German?
I want to be so drenched in His presence that I can't help but give some off when I talk to people...or even just send them a smile. I think I have been waiting for huge opportunities when Jesus really just wants me to recognize the small moments when I can give Him glory.
Well I must go to class now. Have a blessed day!
suse

No comments:

Post a Comment